It's the kind of story that sounds almost too strange to be true a sitting Prime Minister exchanging texts with someone he believed was one of Donald Trump's closest aides, only to discover it was all a con. But that's exactly what happened to Andy Burnham, and he's now speaking out about how he handled the fallout.
Burnham confirmed this week that he'd been messaging with an individual claiming to be Susie Wiles, the real White House Chief of Staff, before something felt off enough for him to break contact and alert the relevant people. When pressed by journalists on whether the whole thing left him red-faced, his answer was blunt: not in the slightest.
"There was a minimal exchange, nothing of consequence, and actually, quickly I realised that this needed to be reported, and I did so," he told reporters gathered at Wolverhampton bus station. He went further, framing the episode as part of a wider pattern facing politicians today. "All politicians are receiving these pressures and these challenges, but I did everything right," he said, stressing again that the messages exchanged carried "zero consequence" and that he'd flagged the issue without delay.
How the Story Came to Light
News of the fake exchange first broke on Monday, reported by Politico. Their sources indicated the situation was serious enough that Britain's embassy in Washington felt compelled to raise it directly with the White House a sign that officials on both sides of the Atlantic were taking the impersonation seriously.
When asked what steps had actually been taken to track down whoever was behind the hoax, Burnham kept his answer short, simply stating that the "correct action" had been carried out both in the UK and in the United States.
A Pattern of Targeting Susie Wiles
This isn't the first time Wiles' identity has been exploited by scammers. American reports previously revealed her phone had been hacked, though a US official clarified to Politico that this particular incident with Burnham wasn't connected to that breach. Still, it adds to a troubling pattern last year, the Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI opened an investigation after someone impersonating Wiles reached out to a number of high-profile Republicans and business leaders.
For his part, Trump seemed genuinely unaware of the situation when reporters brought it up at the White House. His response was fairly dismissive, chalking it up to what he called "a miscommunication" on Burnham's end.
Not the First British Politician to Be Fooled
Burnham is far from alone in falling victim to this kind of deception. British political history has a handful of similar episodes. Back in 2024, the UK government released footage showing then-foreign secretary Lord David Cameron on a call he believed was with former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko except it wasn't him at all. The Foreign Office later stated the people behind that hoax were "clearly Russian," and chose to release the footage publicly to get ahead of any attempt to twist or misuse the recording.
Two years earlier, in 2022, both Priti Patel, then home secretary, and Ben Wallace, then defence secretary, were targeted in similar hoax attempts believed to have Kremlin ties.
And it's not always foreign agents pulling the strings. Back in 1998, comedian and impressionist Jon Culshaw managed to get through to Prime Minister Tony Blair via the Downing Street switchboard while doing his impression of opposition leader William Hague. Blair reportedly caught on almost immediately, laughing it off with the comment: "It's quite a good imitation."
Whether it's Russian intelligence operatives or a mischievous impressionist, it seems the same lesson keeps repeating itself even the most powerful people in the world aren't immune to a convincing voice on the other end of the line.
Comments
Post a Comment