Newsom slams JD Vance over California fraud claims after FOX appearance



The war of words between the Trump administration and California's top Democrat is nothing new, but this latest exchange hit differently. It wasn't just political sniping it was a direct clash over one of the administration's biggest policy moves in recent months.

JD Vance appeared on Fox News Saturday, speaking with host Kayleigh McEnany, and laid out what he framed as a genuine offer to work with Newsom but only if the governor acknowledged the fraud problem first. "I would love it if Gavin Newsom had a come-to-Jesus moment," Vance said, suggesting California's leadership has been turning a blind eye to misuse of public money.

His comments followed an announcement that the federal government was deferring $1.3 billion in Medicaid funding to the state described by Dr. Mehmet Oz, who leads the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, as the "largest deferral we've ever made." Oz pointed to what he called suspicious spending patterns, particularly California's home care program, which he said was growing at a noticeably higher rate than similar programs in other states.

But when pressed for specifics, Oz didn't produce documented examples of actual fraud. Instead, he said the administration wanted California to "come to the table" and explain the discrepancies.

Newsom's office pushed back firmly, arguing that the growth in the home care program isn't a red flag it's a deliberate policy choice. The state, they explained, is actively keeping people out of nursing homes, which cost far more. "We hate fraud," the governor's press team wrote on X. "But that's NOT what this is."

Newsom's Counter-Punch: Look at the Pardon List

What gave Newsom's response extra bite wasn't just the defense of California's record it was his pivot to the White House's own track record on fraud.

Since returning to office in January 2025, President Trump has used his pardon power to free or reduce the sentences of at least seven individuals convicted of fraud-related crimes. Newsom didn't let that go unnoticed.

"JD's boss is pardoning convicted fraudsters and literally stuffing his pockets with YOUR tax dollars," Newsom wrote, in a post that quickly circulated online.

A Closer Look at Who Trump Has Pardoned

The list is, by any measure, a striking one.

In May 2025, Trump issued pardons to more than two dozen individuals, a mix that included political allies, reality TV personalities, and even the founder of a Chicago street gang. Among those receiving clemency was Charles Scott, found guilty in 2024 for helping a corporation manipulate its stock and defraud investors in Ohio.

Former Connecticut Governor John Rowland, a Republican, was also on that list. Rowland had been convicted of election fraud and obstruction of justice back in 2014 charges that came after he'd already pleaded guilty more than a decade earlier to involvement in a scheme involving luxury flights and nearly $90,000 in corrupt payments.

New York Republican Rep. Michael Grimm received a pardon too. Grimm had resigned from Congress after pleading guilty to felony tax fraud, and had also admitted to committing perjury, employing undocumented workers, and wire fraud, according to reporting by The New York Times.

Former Arkansas state senator Jeremy Hutchinson was pardoned after being convicted of bribery and tax fraud crimes that had earned him a sentence of over four years behind bars.

On the commutation side, Trump reduced the 33-year sentence of Marian Morgan, convicted of wire fraud, money laundering, and filing false tax returns. He also cut the 50-year sentence of Lawrence Duran, who was ordered to repay more than $87 million after a health care fraud and money laundering conviction both actions confirmed by the Office of the Pardon Attorney.

And then there were Todd and Julie Chrisley, the Georgia couple whose lavish lifestyle anchored the reality show Chrisley Knows Best. They were convicted in 2022 on charges of bank fraud and tax evasion before Trump granted them clemency.

The Bigger Picture

There's an obvious irony that Newsom and his team are leaning into: an administration loudly crusading against fraud is simultaneously handing out pardons to people a court found guilty of exactly that.

It's worth noting that Trump himself was convicted in 2024 on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records stemming from hush money payments made to adult film actress Stormy Daniels. His sentencing has been indefinitely postponed following his return to the presidency.

Whether or not the Medicaid funding dispute gets resolved in a courtroom or at a negotiating table, this political fight is clearly far from over. And with both sides holding ammunition, the exchanges are only likely to get more pointed in the weeks ahead.

Comments